Wednesday, January 7, 2009

International Dish #1

Taste of the Carribean



I give this one a 2.5 out of 5. The sweetness of the pineapple went really nice with the spice of the pepper, but I wish there was more bulk to the relish. Maybe a glaze of some sorts? Still, it was a nice light zingy dish. We got to use the bottle of Rum that we purchased in Jamaica, so that made for a nice flashback.

Speaking of flashback...Lets dig up some 6 month prego Jamaica vacation pics...





Sunscreen anyone?

Okay, flashback over. Back to the recipe.

Pork Loin Chops with Pineapple and Serrano Pepper Relish

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups chopped fresh pineapple
1/2 cup chopped sweet onion
2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh serrano chile, including seeds
1 teaspoon chopped thyme
1 teaspoon distilled white vinegar
1 teaspoon coriander seeds
2 (1-inch-thick) boneless pork loin chops
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons dark rum

Preparation:
Toss together pineapple, onion, chile, thyme, vinegar, and 1/4 teaspoon salt.

Grind coriander seeds in an electric coffee/spice grinder (or crush with flat side of a knife). Pat pork dry; sprinkle all over with coriander, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper.

Heat oil in a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat until it shimmers, then sauté pork, turning once, until well browned and just cooked through but still juicy, 6 to 10 minutes.

Transfer pork to plates. Add pineapple mixture and rum to skillet and sauté, scraping up brown bits, 1 minute. Serve pork with relish.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

That looks yummy! Sure beats the 1/2 of Ellios slice of pizza I had for dinner, lol!!

Fun Jamaica pics!! You're glowing...........pregnancy glow or lack of sunscreen? LOL!

Anonymous said...

looks delish! Between you and Doreen, I think I see myself in Jamaica sometime this year. Love that first pic of you guys... definitely glowing!

dalia said...

sounds yummy!
Seriously...when are we going??

Anonymous said...

I think I'll pass on the dish!
You look great, I can barely even tell that you're pregnant.

Anonymous said...

Sounds yummy! I may have to make this some night when the kids eat early. I don't think they would go for this one. Did girly try it?

Anonymous said...

Why didn't I look that good 6 months pregnant?
The dish looks great. DH and I have decided that we are going to try one new recipe a week. I don't think I am nearly as adventures as you though.

Anonymous said...

You look better pregnant then I ever looked in my life .

Jill Brochard said...

That dish looks and sounds so yummy! Wow you are one hot sexy prego momma! ;) I wish we had some jamacian sun and warmth here right now!

Taira said...

I agree with Kristie.

That dish does look yummy! Good for you for already starting on your list. I haven't even written mine yet-I know...slacker!

Terri Young said...

Thanks for all the comments ladies! I so miss being preggo. :(

Howard M. said...

cool pics, that sunset behind you in the second image is to die for!